I'll admit, there have been weak points in my life where all I've really wanted to do is indulge in a little bit of cookie dough. The solution tends to be that I will whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, but since the cookies aren't the actual goal, for simplicity's sake the dough just get pressed into a 9x13 pan and voila, cookie bars.
The problem then becomes that you have a large pan of cookie bars sitting around the house that you will be constantly tempted to devour. When there's only a couple of people in the house, it becomes a real test of your self-control.
To help solve this problem I came up with the very ingenious solution to simply make a smaller batch! I can still get my cookie dough fix but with much less temptation after the fact. The cookie bars are now made in a smaller 9x9 pan instead.
The bars don't lose any of their chocolatey cookie goodness with the smaller serving. My only complaint is that as a middle piece lover, those perfectly soft pieces on all four edges become a hot commodity. Any other middle piece lovers out there? Or are you like my mom and sister who fight over the corners? Not to worry, all pieces middle and edge alike can do the trick, especially when enjoyed with a tall glass of milk.
Recipe adapted from Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dry oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper and non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter, vegetable shortening, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Beat in egg.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Stir in chocolate chips and oatmeal.
- Press cookie dough into prepared pan.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown.