Thursday, February 16, 2012

Butterscotch Pudding

There is a restaurant in Madison, that makes the best budino di caramello or butterscotch pudding. Go figure my favorite desert in Madison, is from a Italian restaurant, Osteria Papavero. I am seriously obsessed with it. I am constantly talking about and decided I should learn to make it on my own.  I came across this recipe from a friend, who also loves their pudding. She told me this was the closest one she had found to Osteria's pudding. Wow, was she right!


If you do not think you like butterscotch, try this. I claim to dislike butterscotch, but I guess this is an exception. My roommate had the same feelings. She loved it. It is rich and creamy, with no overwhelming butterscotch flavor.


I added  extra scotch to the pudding, it was by accident but turned out with the right flavor. Other recipes I looked at used straight whiskey, if you don't have scotch. The next time I make it, I am going to try adding less sugar. I also wanted to use vanilla beans in place of the vanilla extract. Turns out I didn't have any vanilla beans. The vanilla extract does the same job, but I think the flecks of vanilla make it look pretty. None the less, I am very happy with how this turned out.


Don't be daunted by making homemade pudding, it is easy. If you won't take my word for it, you have plenty of liquid courage on hand. You have to make sure the scotch is good too, right? Enjoy!

Adapted from Emeril Lagasse
Ingredients:
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon scotch whiskey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions:
  1. In a medium sauce pan, combine the cream, milk, dark brown sugar and salt, and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat (just until it starts to bubble in the center of the pan), whisking to dissolve the sugar.
  2. In a medium bowl combine the egg yolks and cornstarch, whisking until well combined and pale yellow.
  3. Slowly add 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly (try pouring it down the side of the bowl instead of into the middle, if you are concerned the eggs will become chunky). Gradually add the egg mixture into the remaining hot cream, whisking to combine.
  4. Return the sauce pan to medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 4 to 5 minutes (the consistency of the pudding, after being removed from the heat is the same as after being chilled). Remove from the heat, adding the butter, scotch and vanilla, stirring until the butter is melted.
  5. Pour the pudding through a fine mesh strainer, into a clean bowl. Spoon into 4 decorative bowls or glasses and cover each with plastic wrap, pressing into the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 3 hours, if you can't wait that long it is just as good still warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...