Wednesday, August 20, 2014

BLT Grilled Cheese Sandwich

After April's Warm Tomato, Arugula and Bacon Panzanella Salad and Brittany's Caprese Pasta, Tomato Month continues with my take on the theme, a BLT Grilled Cheese Sandwich!


I'm going to start out by being straightforward with everyone, I know I'm calling this a BLT sandwich but I' didn't put any lettuce on it.  Leafy green lettuce and a hot skillet just don't go together too well so I chose to replace it with a different green food and that's where the avocado steps in.  Because the BLT was ultimately the inspiration for this sandwich I chose to keep it in the name, and because BAT just doesn't have the same ring to it.


The tomatoes I used in these sandwiches are fresh picked from my garden this past weekend.  It just feels so rewarding to be able to eat something that you have been taking care of and growing.  The tomatoes add a nice, fresh juiciness, and the avocado a gentle softness that helps balance out the crunch of the bacon and grilled bread.  We were really happy with how this sandwich turned out and I'm already thinking about how I'll be making it again accompanied by tomato soup once the weather cools off.


Enjoy!
Kelsey

Makes 2 sandwiches.

Ingredients:
  • 4 slices of sourdough bread
  • 6 pieces of turkey bacon, cooked
  • 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 large tomato, cut in 4 slices
  • 1 avocado, mashed
  • Butter
Directions:
  1. Butter the outsides of two slices of bread.
  2. Begin layering ingredients evenly on each slice, starting with one slice of cheese, then spread mashed avocado, place bacon strips and tomato slices, finally topping with another slice of cheese.
  3. Butter the outside of last two slices of bread and top the sandwiches.
  4. In a skillet preheated over medium heat, grill sandwiches for about 5 minutes on each side, or until cheese is melted.  If bread begins to burn before cheese is melted, lower heat.
Two Years Ago: Peach Almond Galette

5 comments:

  1. Oh my!! The sandwich looks insanely delish.. I love me a good sandwich and I bet this was amazing.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and so easy to make! You could even substitute microwave bacon if you didn't want to take the time to cook it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That looks amazing!!! I'm going to have to try:)

    Audrey
    www.audreysalutes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do and let us know how you like it!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love a good grilled cheese .. and anything with avocado, gimme gimme gimme!! yum, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...